The Other Side of The Dress Code

Marie Chabot

Every year, teenagers are not satisfied with how the dress code is made, here’s how it works.

Schools are a big part of a teenager’s life. In fact, students express themselves mostly by their attitude or what they are wearing and it’s at that time that the dress code takes place. 

In fashion, the trends are changing every few years and teenagers are maybe the first ones to change their style because of trends. They want to follow fashion with hairstyles and clothes.

Here’s a question some students were asking themselves; Does the dress style matters when you vote for the dress code? ‘’No, it doesn’t change the perspective we have on clothes because of fashion.’’ commented Miss Natalie Rémillard.

In the dress code of the school, the rules clearly state that; you must adopt a decent, clean and adequate dress code for every activity. If those rules are not followed you must have a verbal warning, if you don’t collaborate,  a request to change, a loan of clothes that respect the dress code and a call to parents if you don’t listen to the first warning. ‘’Usually, students cooperate with us when they get a message to follow the dress code’’ said the vice-principal by interim.

According to Miss Rémillard there are general assemblies that are discussions and votes made by all the staff about different subjects and the dress code is part of it. The dress code needs to be voted by the teacher, director, non-teaching staff, students’ parents, and students. It is voted on in those meetings and talked about once a year.     

Ending on these words Miss Rémillard mentioned, ‘’In my opinion, the dress code is there because the goal is to instruct, to socialize, to educate, and the role is to show how to behave in society’’.

Here we have the opinion of  Mathilde, a secondary 3 student about the dress code. ‘’I do think the dress code discriminates against girls because if we see the clothes that are not allowed in schools, it is mostly girls that are affected by this. We have the ‘’ bretelles spaghetti’’, the crop top, the V-neck, and others as examples’’.