Students to visit Costa Rica in 2019

This year, La Camaradière high school is planning a wonderful community trip to Costa Rica, for about 30 lucky students.

This trip will take place in February 2019 and will last for 8 days. The specifics days are not out yet because the trip is about 17 months away.

“We are waiting for the plane tickets that will be only for sale 11 months before the trip,” said Manon Cloutier the English teacher who is in charge of the trip.

We are very happy about the involvement of M. Claude Labrecque that has experience as a whitewater rafting tour guide. He also visits and works there part-time in the summer. That is very helpful for planning the trip according to Manon Cloutier

Those students will have the chance to visit an incredible country in Central America. Costa Rica has a big area of 51 100 km² that is densely populated with 4 947 490 citizens. This country is known for its amazing views and beaches that border the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.

Students will have the opportunity to see a bunch of amazing attractions that are unique to Costa Rica. They will do zip line, an amazing activity called Canopy Tour. Such as the visit of the Catarata de La Paz and another waterfall called the Catarata de La Fortuna. These attractions are two hours away from the hotel which is the Best Western Irazu (not confirmed yet).

Since Costa Rica is also a poor country, the students will have to do some community work such as trails maintenance in a biological reserve, construction of sidewalk for a sports court and communal cooking and many other awesome community activities.

The cost of this trip will be about 2100 $ and the students that are participating will have to do payments of 200 $ every month for the trip. 20 spots were originally available for the trip but now 34 students have signed up so far. The people in charge will either do a selection or find another person to chaperone the trip.

Also maybe some of you are wondering how long will it take to go there by plane, well according to Mr. Labrecque, the flight could take 7 hours but if they take an American flight then they could lose an hour or two because of stopovers.

Is also good to know that we can find 55 cities in Costa Rica which the capital is San José and that the students will have the chance to visit with Santa Elena either or mostly known as Monteverde. To finish, students will have to learn Spanish to fully enjoy their experience.

(Written by Laurie Gauthier Edited by Sarah Turcotte)