Dropping out

Dropping+out

Fernanda Zeve

Each year, in Quebec, 74% of students have their diploma after finishing high school. Unfortunately, 22,3% prefer to follow the work market without finishing their studies.

In the province, the government obliges students to go to school until they’re 16 years old but, the majority of dropouts prefer to get out at 13-14 years old and abandon everything. Studies have shown, that the biggest part of drop out is boys in French public schools. Apparently, they say that boys are less perseverent at school and that people who live in small cities have a bigger tendency to quit. Which means that students in English public school and private school have a much smaller rate of dropping out. Also, girls are more successful in the learning community. However, the school and the gender are not the main reason for giving up but, is the influence of others.

The larger part of learners leaves off the institution because they suffer bullying, have family problems or because of there own carelessness at school. Others get out to follow their parents who are dropouts too and some girls have to leave because they get pregnant before time. Although dropping out is never the solution and it brings a lot of difficulties.

Not all of the dropouts but the minority have the trend to enter into a depression, develop eating disorders or suffer from drugs problems. Which may bring health-related consequences. This is one big problem for the province.

The majority of dropouts try to find a work after giving up on school but not even the quarter is able to find a job. The ones who find work usually have a small salary or finish by depending on social services. However, studies show that 50% of dropouts, between 22 to 30 years old, return to adults school to be able to have a better job and a better salary. Sadly, girls don’t have the same opportunity as a boy when they return on the work market. The jobs who are available to them are habitually manual task, so the employers prefer to give them to men.

Also dropping out has a big impact o the economy, almost every year, Quebec lose more than 5400$ per student that drops out. Another fact is that 48% of the dropouts don’t vote at election time.

Fortunately, there are a lot of socials services in the province that help people with problems to have a comfortable life and opportunity to restart a new one too.

(Written by Fernanda Zeve; Editing by Sephora Aké and Chelsia Kamdem)