Hijab: Part of my Identity

Maliha Kaihdri

Miss Fatemeh Anvari, a third-grade teacher at Chelsea elementary school, got fired because she was wearing a hijab. 

Miss Anvari is a young Muslim teacher that really practices the ethics, the culture, and the values of Islam. She wears a hijab.

A hijab is like a scarf that Muslim women put on when they are around men outside of their family to protect and hide their hair and their chest. These two parts of the body represent the dignity that women should keep and only show to their husbands. A hijab can be very significant for Muslim women. It was for Miss Anvari. For her, a hijab is not only a religious “accessory’’, it’s also a part of her identity.

Some students are devastated by this news. They liked her a lot. Everyone was shocked and sad, even the student’s parents. Parents were on her side in this situation.

Miss Anvari said “Honestly, at that second, it was just a shock. It was very hard to process,” to CBC.

By this news, some students even drew some pictures to support her and wrote letters saying they miss their teacher and that she was really beautiful even with a hijab. The hijab did not prevent the students from concentrating in her class. It wasn’t causing any distraction.

Protesters also say that Bill 21 has let Miss Anvari down.

Bill 21 is a recent law imposed by the Quebec government forbidding people working in authority, which includes teachers, to wear any kind of religious objects in public. According to Marl News: « Bill 21 consists of four principles including the religious neutrality of the state; the separation of religion and state; the equality of all citizens; and freedom of conscience and religion. » Human rights and freedom are important in Canada which could lead to conflicts in societies. Bill 21 limits the community to have diversity. Some people say it is really ironic based on how Canada has a lot of anti-racism projects and really is an open mind country.

Miss Fatemah Anvari is still non-employed till this day