Basketball Game Teachers vs Students

Marko Milosevic, Journalist, Editor

On January 24th, a long-awaited basketball game won by the teachers took place in the gymnasium of La Camaradière. During lunchtime.

This day wasn’t a regular day at La Camaradière, at the bell, it didn’t last a second that the gym was already filled with hyped up students.  Pater Valois Munyengango who is a 16 years old teenager passionate by basketball led the student’s team. Pater managed to put on a strong starting 5 to start the game same thing on the other side, Sébastien Piché, leader of the teacher’s team, is a french teacher who also played the game. The two teams were equivalent. There were as many experienced players as inexperienced ones.

First quarter                                                                                                                                                                                       The game was ready to begin, the referees were also, the two starting 5 got on the court and at the sound of the first quarter, the battle started. The teachers got the first possession of the game, they got to the three-point line and Vincent Lepage tried an open three but missed it. The students got the rebound and then drive to the hoop, but the teacher’s defence was impressively strong. Sébastien stole the ball from the teenager and got the first point of the game. The war continued till the end of the first quarter. The teachers had a lead of 5 points.

Second quarter                                                                                                                                                                        After both team leaders’ speeches and tips were given, they were more motivated than ever to return to the court. The youngsters started the second half with the ball on the side. Yannick Lahlou went up the score within a minute due to his rapidity and skills with the ball. The students were on their gold way. They started playing with confidence and put on a lead of 3 points. The first half ended with a score of 21-18 for the students.

Half-time                                                                                                                                                                                      The students have never been more excited than this before, the student’s screams could be heard throughout the whole school, and they were happier than ever. The heat was intense in there. The supporters were all in sweat but still captivated by the game. Once half-time finished, the adrenaline started slowly to flow among the students.

Third quarter                                                                                                                                                                           After Sébastien Piché gave some pieces of advice to the inexperienced players in his team, they were now ready to win this endless war. The match went on. The quarter was tight until the teachers dominated them and had a lead of 10 points. Pater Valois Munyengango tried to motivate his players as much as possible, but they just completely gave up. The quarter ended with a lead of 13 points for the teachers.

Fourth quarter                                                                                                                                                                       Pater sent the last 5 players who still had the energy to play, without any comments, knowing there is no way of a comeback, in a distraught voice, he said, “Do your best.” They played the last minutes, and the war was finally won by the teachers by a score of 34- 25.

Sébastien Piché’s speech after game                                                                                                                             Overall, Sébastien enjoyed the moment, but he didn’t like the fact that the teenagers left no chance to Geneviève Maheux. At each possession, they tore the ball out of her hands, scored and celebrated, which was very disrespectful to Sébastien and her. Geneviève is a recreation technician at school that has no expertise in basketball at all. Sébastien, a basketball player since his childhood, said with a sneer, “I hope I taught them a lesson.”