Stressed Out Teens

Frustrated+student

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Frustrated student

These days, many people are regularly subjected to periods of stress, particularly teenagers.

We all talk about stress, but we don’t always know what it really is. Stress is the set of responses of an organism subjected to pressure and contraints coming from its environment.

Adolescence is a period in which many physical and psychological changes, caused by puberty, occur. Puberty and its changes often create a lack of self-confidence which is a great cause of stress for an adolescent. It can play a negative role on the social and academic life of a teenager.

Isolation, created especially by bullying, causes anxiety. School is the main place of socialization. Students are obsessed with what people think about them like their appearance. ”Many people have no respect and judge without knowing who they judge. I think that some of them don’t have confidence in themselves and believe that by lowering others it will make them feel superior”, said Fanny Leclerc.

School work can bring a big weight on students’ shoulders. It’s not everyone who is able to keep a good balance between homework and exams. Some do not know how to find the time to study well for an exam. So the pressure to have good results increases.

Other causes of stress:

• Lack of support from the entourage
  • External pressure
  • Uncertainty of social references

There are a lot of things that can help to reduce stress, like having a good diet, being well organized and doing sport. It’s very important to take some time to relax after a big day of work. Taking a bath, spending time outside and listening to music are good ways to relax. Taking time to identify causes of stress can help to reduce it too.